Cunjunction Week, Round Two

Astrophotography: share your photos & discuss techniques
Apollo XX
MSSF Coordinator

Cunjunction Week, Round Two

Unread post by Apollo XX »

With thunder rumbling off in the distance and clouds encroaching at a steady rate, I couldn't be sure that I'd be able to see this in the dark, so I decided to try it in twighlight skies. I had already been observing Saturn as part of my daytime planetary adventure series viewtopic.php?f=78&t=4317 and now the planet and the Moon had moved close enough together to be squeezed into one field of view - at least somewhat. Not quite as close as the lunar/mars conjunction two nights ago, not quite as breathtaking a view, but it happened and so here it is. The field of view through this particular eyepiece in this scope is about 1.7*

As the night wore on and darkness descended, the sky held out and the pair remained visible. I didn't bother then with a scope, but just enjoyed the spectacle naked-eye.

Mike M.
"The purpose of life is the investigation of the Sun, the Moon, and the heavens." - Anaxagoras
Pete
Astro Day Coordinator

Re: Cunjunction Week, Round Two

Unread post by Pete »

Hi Mike,

This pass wasn't anywhere as close as Mars a few days back. And too wide for my attempting to image thru the guide scope with a handheld. So your image is much better than my no image at all.

Pete
Pete P.
Apollo XX
MSSF Coordinator

Re: Cunjunction Week, Round Two

Unread post by Apollo XX »

Pete wrote: This pass wasn't anywhere as close as Mars a few days back.
Pete
No it wasn't, and hyping this as a celestial "event" is a bit like hyping the "Super Moon". :lol: Of course if you were in Argentina where the moon occulted Saturn...no that's another story!

Mike
"The purpose of life is the investigation of the Sun, the Moon, and the heavens." - Anaxagoras