Scutum/Serpens Cauda border

Astrophotography: share your photos & discuss techniques
bluemax
10+ Years Member

Scutum/Serpens Cauda border

Unread post by bluemax »

Here is an image taken with a modded Canon 450D with an el'cheapo Canon zoom lens set at 200MM guided for about 2 hours total on a CGEM mount. (4 minX30) The Eagle Nebula M16 and the Omega Nebula M17 are prominent but, little globular cluster M18 can be seen to the right and slightly up from M17 along with bright nebula IC4701 above the cluster with bright nebula IC4715 below it. There is a cool dark fork to the extreme right and I think the two dark blobs up high and to the right are B93 and B92. If anyone can better identify these objects, feel free!

Frank N

Stellarvue 80mm APO, Skyguider Pro, Celestron AVX

"I'm a seeker too. But my dreams aren't like yours. I can't help thinking that somewhere in the universe there has to be something better than man. Has to be"

Taylor in "Planet of the Apes" 1968
Bruce D
Life Member

Re: Scutum/Serpens Cauda border

Unread post by Bruce D »

That's amazing Frank, great image! Omega nebula, AKA the Swan?
Bruce D
NGC7000
15+ Years Member

Unread post by NGC7000 »

Nice, Frank! Did you take this from your home site or somewhere else?

Tom
Tom H
"Science knows no country, because knowledge belongs to humanity, and is the torch which illuminates the world. Science is the highest personification of the nation because that nation will remain the first which carries the furthest the works of thought and intelligence." - Louis Pasteur
bluemax
10+ Years Member

Unread post by bluemax »

Taken from light abundant Bristol. Not too bad considering the objects are low in the sky thus the photons had to travel through a lot of summer atmosphere. Also, it will be much better after I get the free trial Pixinsight so I can do real processing!
Frank N

"I'm a seeker too. But my dreams aren't like yours. I can't help thinking that somewhere in the universe there has to be something better than man. Has to be"

AndyG
Network Admin

Unread post by AndyG »

Great image, Frank. Lots of interesting stuff in there. I love those wide field shots as they give some real perspective on the objects we tend to zoom in on when observing through a scope.
Andy
bluemax
10+ Years Member

Unread post by bluemax »

Good point Andy, I tend to get caught up in deep space stuff and its nice when Tom and the Commander (and others of course) submit those nice wide field shots. Those images are what I am just now attempting.

Educate & Inspire!
Frank N