The Sun Yesterday, 6/23/14

Astrophotography: share your photos & discuss techniques
AndyG
Network Admin

Re: The Sun Yesterday, 6/23/14

Unread post by AndyG »

Great detail and great processing, Bill. You make it look easy, but I know it is not!
Andy
Apollo XX
MSSF Coordinator

Unread post by Apollo XX »

Those look really good, Bill! What are you using for CaK? I've seen that Baader sells a filter that works with their solar film. http://agenaastro.com/baader-calcium-ca ... -1-25.html

Mike
"The purpose of life is the investigation of the Sun, the Moon, and the heavens." - Anaxagoras
Apollo XX
MSSF Coordinator

Unread post by Apollo XX »

Bill Lee wrote:
Apollo XX wrote:Those look really good, Bill! What are you using for CaK? I've seen that Baader sells a filter that works with their solar film. http://agenaastro.com/baader-calcium-ca ... -1-25.html

Mike

Another thing to remember is that solar film+reflector isn't a recipe for observing lower contrast fine detail. During the day, tube currents are wicked. When I tried the Baader Solar Continuum with solar film on the C8, it was awful. Couldn't see a thing. On a 4" refractor and a Herschel wedge, though, it works great.
Yes, I agree. I've been doing quite a bit of solar observing in the past year, and although my 4.5" reflector w/Baader film and continuum filter has given me the best film results thus far, my most recent setup of a 90mmF11 refractor w/Lunt Herschel wedge and using the continuum filter has been incredible. Granulation is now the norm instead of the exception, and just two days ago during quite breezy conditions I was investigating sunspot details at 125x, a magnification not possible with any of my other setups.

Mike
"The purpose of life is the investigation of the Sun, the Moon, and the heavens." - Anaxagoras