Posting images

Astrophotography: share your photos & discuss techniques
DonB

Posting images

Unread post by DonB »

I took a image of the UMD Outreach. Could someone show me the proper procedure for inserting the image in text for the BB ?
Thanks,
Don
"When I was 18, my father was the dumbest man I ever knew.
When I was 21, I could not believe how much he had learned in 3 years."
--- Mark Twain

Orion 120mm F/5 Refractor
Celestron 8
Explore Scientific 80 Triplet
Explore Scientific 102 Triplet
Orion 8" Astrograph
Bruce D
Life Member

Re: Posting images

Unread post by Bruce D »

Hi Don, it looked like you guys had a beautiful night for the event last night, did the NPR reporter come by? Did people stay late enough to view Mars?

Pictures take up a lot of memory on our web space, which we have a limited amount of- so given the number of images people post here the BEST way to place an image on the bulletin board is to upload your image to one of the free image hosting websites (I use www.photobucket.com because they also will let you put video there- a REAL memory hog!). Go to which ever image hosting site you want to use (I'm sure other members can recommend their favorites) and open a free account, then upload your image to their site (that way your picture takes up their web space not ours :idea: ). Once you have uploaded your picture they will provide a couple of links you can copy and paste into your bulletin board message. Depending on which of the links you choose we will either see your picture right in your message, or we will see a link in your message we can click on to get to your picture.

It's actually easier than I've made it sound, but you might have to experiment with the links for a couple of minutes. Most image hosting sites will include a link specifically for things like message boards, I usually choose that link, copy it, then I go to the ASSNE bulletin board and start typing my message. When I get to where I want to insert the picture I click on "Img" (see the row of buttons at the top of the "post a reply" window just under "Subject"). You will see "Img /Img" appear in your message, with the cursor already placed right in the middle where you link should go so just right-click your mouse and choose "paste", that will insert the link you copied from photobucket. Then move your cursor to the end of the sentence (be sure to leave a space after /Img) and finish typing the rest of your message. When you click submit we should see your picture in your message, and it didn't use a drop of our web space!

If anyone has trouble inserting pictures let me know and we'll get it figured out!
Bruce D
DonB

Unread post by DonB »

OK here goes.
Yes, last nights Outreach was great. The reporter was there. Rebekah, Pete, Jerry and many other members were there. It also seemed that there was a good crowd also. The sky was beautiful and the temp was bearable in spit of a good breeze that kept it quite cool. There were more children than I had expected. So naturally I forgot my step stool. I must remember it for Barrington. Anyway it was a great night.
The attached image is not a good one, but it tells the story.

[ihttp://i1061.photobucket.com/albums/t463/donb16/_MG_2205_edited-1-1_zps603b01e4.jpgmg][/img]

Don

Ok seems I did not do something right. I'll try later.
--- Mark Twain

Celestron 8
Orion 8" Astrograph
Apollo XX
MSSF Coordinator

Unread post by Apollo XX »

Don, if you look to the right of the image on photobucket you'll see a box that says "Links to this photo". Just click in the "IMG" box and you'll see "copied" come up. The link is now on the clipboard and you can just paste it into the text where you want it, then the photo should show up when you post. Here I pasted the IMG link to your picture right below this text:

Looks like it was a good night!

Mike
"The purpose of life is the investigation of the Sun, the Moon, and the heavens." - Anaxagoras
Bruce D
Life Member

Unread post by Bruce D »

Almost but not quite!

When you pasted your link it landed in the middle of the beginning [Img] and the mg] ended up at the end of your link.
I forgot about the brackets in my explanation.

What you have is:
[iYOURLINKmg][/img]

What you want is:
[img]YOURLINK[/img]

Moving just a few characters should do the trick!
Bruce D
DonB

Unread post by DonB »

Thanks everyone. I am trying to get some quality images and am having some success and some failure, but we're getting there.
Don
--- Mark Twain

Celestron 8
Orion 8" Astrograph
AndyG
Network Admin

Unread post by AndyG »

HI Don, nice picture, I like how you can see the Pleiades right in the center.

I can't believe I missed you at the event ... you must have been down at the end near the observatory, right? I was at the other end, next to Deb and Dan, closest to the road. I arrived a little late and by the time I had my refractor set up there was a non-stop stream of visitors, so I did not have time to work my way down and say hi to everyone. At one point I managed to get down to see Spence and Rebekah, and I could see somebody down near the obs so I'm guessing that must have been you. It was great to see Bob, Pete, Jerry, and John too. The skies were quite clear, and the seeing was not to bad for looking at Jupiter. We got a healthy dose of oohs and aahs, especially from kids and at least a couple of people who had never looked through a scope before, so that made it a lot of fun for me.
Andy
NGC7000
15+ Years Member

Unread post by NGC7000 »

Hi Andy,

I think that is Mike''s nice picture. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tom
Tom H
"Science knows no country, because knowledge belongs to humanity, and is the torch which illuminates the world. Science is the highest personification of the nation because that nation will remain the first which carries the furthest the works of thought and intelligence." - Louis Pasteur