M3 Globular Cluster

Astrophotography: share your photos & discuss techniques
AndyG
Network Admin

M3 Globular Cluster

Unread post by AndyG »

Click image for higher resolution version and acquisition details.
Andy
DonB

Re: M3 Globular Cluster

Unread post by DonB »

WOW!! and your right. This photo needs no explanation - just beautiful. 8) 8) 8)

Don
"When I was 18, my father was the dumbest man I ever knew.
When I was 21, I could not believe how much he had learned in 3 years."
--- Mark Twain

Orion 120mm F/5 Refractor
Celestron 8
Explore Scientific 80 Triplet
Explore Scientific 102 Triplet
Orion 8" Astrograph
Apollo XX
MSSF Coordinator

Unread post by Apollo XX »

Wow! Love it! Fantastically resolved!

Mike M.
"The purpose of life is the investigation of the Sun, the Moon, and the heavens." - Anaxagoras
BobSikes
15+ Years Member

Unread post by BobSikes »

Must be a nice shot.

1. Every morning I look a APOD. If the new APOD image is more interesting than my current screen background APOD image, I change it. Sometimes almost daily, but a really great image stick around for awhile.
2. I didn't change the APOD image this morning.
3. Then I went to ASSNE.ORG and saw Andy's M3 image, very nice! I decided to replace the also very nice screen image that had been in place for a long time (nothing on APOD this month had beat it).
4. As I replaced the old image I realized that the image I replaced was ... Andy's M51 image from March 6th :mrgreen:

Bob's March screen background results (number of days on my screen) APOD 5 days, Andy 23 and counting :!:

BobS
NGC7000
15+ Years Member

Unread post by NGC7000 »

Beautifully done, Andy !!!!
Tom H
"Science knows no country, because knowledge belongs to humanity, and is the torch which illuminates the world. Science is the highest personification of the nation because that nation will remain the first which carries the furthest the works of thought and intelligence." - Louis Pasteur
Bruce D
Life Member

Unread post by Bruce D »

Fantastic image Andy, you keep raising the bar!

Bob, interesting metric! And Andy's winning!
Bruce D
AndyG
Network Admin

Unread post by AndyG »

Thanks for the comments, guys. I really appreciate it.
Andy
w1tsl

Unread post by w1tsl »

Andy,

incredible stuff...how do you do your focusing and does the Moonlite have temperature compensation?

Tom
AndyG
Network Admin

Unread post by AndyG »

w1tsl wrote: incredible stuff...how do you do your focusing and does the Moonlite have temperature compensation?
Thanks, Tom.

The program I use for imaging, Sequence Generator Pro, had a built-in focus routine, and the process is completely automated. The focuser has a temperature sensor and I have SGP refocus between frames whenever the temperature changes by more than 0.5 deg C. SGP assumes you are close to focus to begin with, then maintains focus as the temperature changes through the night. Here is the SGP manual page for Auto Focus. There you can see an example of the "V" curve that is generated as SGP moves the focuser and measures the mean Half Flux Radius of the stars in the field. The focus position is at the extrapolated point of minimum HFR. This is a different approach from other programs like FocusMax which use a single star and require you to slew to a bright star to refocus.

SGP has a 45 day free trial, then costs $99, an excellent value IMO.
Andy
w1tsl

Unread post by w1tsl »

Thanks for that info Andy, I'll check it out.

Tom