Crab Nebula Narrowband

Astrophotography: share your photos & discuss techniques
AndyG
Network Admin

Crab Nebula Narrowband

Unread post by AndyG »

Here is another image of M1, I think it is an improvement over the version I did last year. This one is taken at a longer focal length (2000mm) which I think is is a better match for this target (8' x 4'). The biggest limitation was probably the poor seeing conditions were having earlier this month with the Polar Vortex.

I also used a different palette to map the filters to colors, this time using Red = O-III, Green = H-alpha, Blue = S-II.

You can click on the image for a higher resolution version. Image details.

Andy
Bruce D
Life Member

Re: Crab Nebula Narrowband

Unread post by Bruce D »

Amazing Andy, that is beautiful. The detail is incredible. You should submit some of your images
Bruce D
DonB

Unread post by DonB »

An absolute work of art !! 8) 8) 8)
Don
"When I was 18, my father was the dumbest man I ever knew.
When I was 21, I could not believe how much he had learned in 3 years."
--- Mark Twain

Orion 120mm F/5 Refractor
Celestron 8
Explore Scientific 80 Triplet
Explore Scientific 102 Triplet
Orion 8" Astrograph
mrgizmo65
10+ Years Member

Unread post by mrgizmo65 »

Andy you cease to amaze me with your artistry, That image is beyond beautiful :shock: :shock:
Orion ED80T CF #9534 Carbon Fiber
Ioptron IEQ 45 Pro mount
Ioptron tripier
Ioptron eq 25 mount
Ioptron tripod
Celestron #93709 next image solar system imager
Unitron 3 inch equatorial mount W/ tracking motor and tripod
Restored ED 102 Vixen ss Doublet

"Ilagitami non carborundum" Uncle Nick '49
Apollo XX
MSSF Coordinator

Unread post by Apollo XX »

That's really something, Andy! That image is so good, and you're ability to take 20 minute subs at a 2k focal lenght and keep the stars perfect has got to be a major key to getting that result.

Mike M.
"The purpose of life is the investigation of the Sun, the Moon, and the heavens." - Anaxagoras
AndyG
Network Admin

Unread post by AndyG »

Apollo XX wrote:to take 20 minute subs at a 2k focal lenght and keep the stars perfect has got to be a major key to getting that result.
Right, guiding is definitely critical, but the AO unit makes any tracking deficiencies of the mount disappear :P . It doesn't really help overcome poor seeing though, not much I can do about that :cry: .
Andy
AndyG
Network Admin

Unread post by AndyG »

I thought it was interesting how different the images were from each of the 3 narrowband filters. Here are the images that were combined to make the color image.

Andy
Apollo XX
MSSF Coordinator

Unread post by Apollo XX »

That definitely is interesting. The differences in the amount of structure is very pronounced. Do you happen to have an assembly of the three bands without color assigned? Like your monochrome Elephant Trunk from CSP, sometimes B&W presents itself so well.

Mike
"The purpose of life is the investigation of the Sun, the Moon, and the heavens." - Anaxagoras
NGC7000
15+ Years Member

Unread post by NGC7000 »

Thanks for posting the three elements of your image, Andy. Incredible detail in each, and your finished image is astounding.

Tom
Tom H
"Science knows no country, because knowledge belongs to humanity, and is the torch which illuminates the world. Science is the highest personification of the nation because that nation will remain the first which carries the furthest the works of thought and intelligence." - Louis Pasteur