Minotaur 1 by the skin of My Teeth!

Astrophotography: share your photos & discuss techniques
WCGucfa

Minotaur 1 by the skin of My Teeth!

Unread post by WCGucfa »

Decisions, decisions! I was all set to go swimming but the weather guy said the launch of Minotaur1 (known only as "the rocket" to the weather guy) would be visible to us New Englanders. Could it be true? I kind of doubted it. I was already quite satisfied with the spectacular LADEE launch Lady Luck gave as a gift already this year (wow, 4 L's) :shock: .
I just got home from work and the swim sounded so soothing, but I really did want to test my Sony DSC F-717, as my original antique, the 707, is currently, technically dead, for now.

O.K. then, I check the web sites and found a live shot of the Minotaur sitting on the pad. The 717 was giving me a psychadelic (sp.?) screen (which brought back some good memories). Conditions were GO!
I did some test focus shots and 10 minutes before the 2015hrs launch I brought out the computer and watched Minotaur on the pad, looking like a Roman Candle. This was actually kinda cool, monitering the live shot outside with camera and tripod.
The plan was to brace for the pass as soon as the "rocket" left the Earth. It would, and did, take 60 seconds to reach my sky.
As soon as it popped over the horizon I realized it was going to be in the trees, so I picked up the equipment and ran across the yard looking for a clear space between the trees. That space had the camera pointing right into my neighbors flood light, which of course is NEVER on except for tonight.

I took only one shot at the Minotaur 1 with its 29 satellite payload.
Lady Luck smiled once again, and gave me the cutest wink! :lol:

Bill G.

Sony DSC F-717, f/2.0 @15 seconds, ISO400. For bearings reference, the star stuck in the tree, just above the floodlight, is Fomalhaut.
Last edited by WCGucfa on Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Comets:40, Best Meteor shwr: Leonids '01, Best Aurora:Oct. '03.
Total.Sol.Eclipse,7/10/72 from Nova Scotia.Annular Sol. Eclipse '94,
Trans.of Venus 2004&2012.,ShoeLevy crash into Jupiter '94.
4/25/66 fireball-9 mag.,SN2011fe,N2012aw,DelphN2013.
AndyG
Network Admin

Re: Minotaur 1 and the skin of My Teeth!

Unread post by AndyG »

Great job, Bill. I'd say there was some skill involved and not just luck 8)
Andy
Apollo XX
MSSF Coordinator

Re: Minotaur 1 and the skin of My Teeth!

Unread post by Apollo XX »

Awesome, Bill! I'm gonna get me one of them launches someday myself, yessiree!

Mike
"The purpose of life is the investigation of the Sun, the Moon, and the heavens." - Anaxagoras