Twighlight ISS

Astrophotography: share your photos & discuss techniques
Apollo XX
MSSF Coordinator

Twighlight ISS

Unread post by Apollo XX »

The ISS has been making some nice visible passes lately, and this evening had a spectacular one. Slated to start at about 6:14pm EDT in the northwest (just 32 minutes after sunset!), it would last all the way until the ISS kissed the southeastern horizon almost ten minutes later. Photographing an ISS pass in twighlight skys is never easy, mainly because you struggle to put much time into the exposure without blowing it out. For this one I positioned myself so that the camera was pointing S/SE, and I did everything I could to cut back on the photons hitting the sensor. In the end I was able to pull off a 64 second image, but due to the restrictive camera settings the path of the ISS is a little dim. Still, we can see the curvature of it's orbit, and that's just awesome when you think about what it is! The ISS path starts at the upper right of the image in the trees, and continues downward and to the left while on its journey around the earth.

Details: Kodak Z760 P&S camera on a tripod, ISO 100, F8, 64 sec.

Mike M.
"The purpose of life is the investigation of the Sun, the Moon, and the heavens." - Anaxagoras
WCGucfa

Re: Twighlight ISS

Unread post by WCGucfa »

Hey Mike,

You're a better man than me. I no longer try twilight shots like this.
Technically, f/8, and the speed of the ISS is always going to limit the photons. It does give you sharpness though!
I've never gotten a shot this good under the same conditions. :cry:
Good capture!

Bill G.
Comets:40, Best Meteor shwr: Leonids '01, Best Aurora:Oct. '03.
Total.Sol.Eclipse,7/10/72 from Nova Scotia.Annular Sol. Eclipse '94,
Trans.of Venus 2004&2012.,ShoeLevy crash into Jupiter '94.
4/25/66 fireball-9 mag.,SN2011fe,N2012aw,DelphN2013.
AndyG
Network Admin

Unread post by AndyG »

Well done, Mike, you sure nailed it.

That's really interesting to see the curvature.
Andy
Apollo XX
MSSF Coordinator

Unread post by Apollo XX »

Thanks Guys! Glad to see some others also enjoy a little simple fun with the sky. 8)

Mike
"The purpose of life is the investigation of the Sun, the Moon, and the heavens." - Anaxagoras