NGC281

Astrophotography: share your photos & discuss techniques
AndyG
Network Admin

NGC281

Unread post by AndyG »

Here's what I had my telescope pointed at on all those clear nights we had last week: NGC281, the Pacman Nebula.

This image combines data captured through narrowband H-alpha, S-II, and O-III filters. The full acquisition details are here, and you can click on the image below for a higher resolution version.

Andy
NGC7000
15+ Years Member

Re: NGC281

Unread post by NGC7000 »

That is just stunning, Andy. I had a feeling you were quietly afoot last week. :lol:
That blew me away!

The SII filter makes a difference then? I was hoping to get away with just the Ha and OIII that I already have.
Tom H
"Science knows no country, because knowledge belongs to humanity, and is the torch which illuminates the world. Science is the highest personification of the nation because that nation will remain the first which carries the furthest the works of thought and intelligence." - Louis Pasteur
AndyG
Network Admin

Unread post by AndyG »

NGC7000 wrote: The SII filter makes a difference then? I was hoping to get away with just the Ha and OIII that I already have.
Thanks, Tom.

Having the 3 filters allows you to use the "Hubble palette", mapping SII => Red, Ha => Green, and OII => Blue (or a "modified" Hubble palette as I used here with SII => green, Ha => yellow, OII => blue). This object had decent signal though all three filters, so you get a lot of detail and range of color you would not see without the SII. Other objects, like Witch's broom or CA neb have very weak SII. So it really depends on the object. I personally like either monochrome Ha (like your recent posts) or tri-color like this one, and am less a fan of bicolor like Western Veil I recently did.
Andy
Apollo XX
MSSF Coordinator

Unread post by Apollo XX »

Absolutely amazing image, Andy. 20m? As good as it gets.

Mike
"The purpose of life is the investigation of the Sun, the Moon, and the heavens." - Anaxagoras
AndyG
Network Admin

Unread post by AndyG »

Apollo XX wrote: 20m?
Thanks, Mike. 20 minutes per sub! (of which there were 87 :P, not counting the 11 bad subs I had to throw away)
Andy
Bruce D
Life Member

Unread post by Bruce D »

Andy I'm blown away...
Bruce D
WCGucfa

Unread post by WCGucfa »

Andy, I'm sure someone has mentioned this before, but with your skills you
should seriously consider doing a book of your images. That is, of course, unless
the task would take the fun out of it for you.

In the past, I've known other photographers, writers, etc. who took their wonderful
relaxing pastime and turned them into a burdensome jobs, complete with demanding editors
and deadlines!

Your images are awe inspiring!!

Bill G.
P.S. You've turned the Pacman into an Indian Warrior!!!!
Comets:40, Best Meteor shwr: Leonids '01, Best Aurora:Oct. '03.
Total.Sol.Eclipse,7/10/72 from Nova Scotia.Annular Sol. Eclipse '94,
Trans.of Venus 2004&2012.,ShoeLevy crash into Jupiter '94.
4/25/66 fireball-9 mag.,SN2011fe,N2012aw,DelphN2013.
Mark G
15+ Years Member

Unread post by Mark G »

Stunning Andy :!: 8)
Clear skies,

Mark

iOptron CEM25P w/ Tri-pier
CGEM DX
LXD750 w/ CDS #1697
LXD75 w/ #497 autostar Hypertuned
Antares 8" f/5 Newt
Antares 4" f/15 "Vixen Spec" long focus refractor
Orion 4" f/7 ED refractor
Astro-Tech 65mm Quad APO
and so much more
bluemax
10+ Years Member

Unread post by bluemax »

Very, very nice image Andy! What do you do in your "spare" time? It is always such a pleasure to see the fine work you do and I am inspired once again to get out there! Thanks for sharing.
Frank N

Stellarvue 80mm APO, Skyguider Pro, Celestron AVX

"I'm a seeker too. But my dreams aren't like yours. I can't help thinking that somewhere in the universe there has to be something better than man. Has to be"

Taylor in "Planet of the Apes" 1968