Nova Delphinus on Oct 1

Astrophotography: share your photos & discuss techniques
Apollo XX
MSSF Coordinator

Nova Delphinus on Oct 1

Unread post by Apollo XX »

I was out recently imaging the Delphinus area of the night sky in wide-field for a special project I'm working on for a friend. At some point it dawned on me that I might have captured the recent nova discovered in that area, so today I took a closer look at one of the pictures. What we have here is a 45 second exposure taken with a Nikon D5000, 50mm lens @ F2.8, ISO400, camera mounted on the hinge tracker. This is a 100% crop of roughly 30% of the captured FOV. I've included the head of the dolphin for reference to the area of the sky. The nova looks to me to be about mag 8.5 now. Wispy clouds courtesy of Mother Nature.

Mike M.
"The purpose of life is the investigation of the Sun, the Moon, and the heavens." - Anaxagoras
AndyG
Network Admin

Re: Nova Delphinus on Oct 1

Unread post by AndyG »

Cool, Mike, thanks for posting. I like how you included the head of Delphinus. I've been checking out the nova from time to time in binos; it's fun to keep checking it from time to time.
Andy
Apollo XX
MSSF Coordinator

Re: Nova Delphinus on Oct 1

Unread post by Apollo XX »

Thanks Andy! You know, I just noticed that according to the annotations on this image, I'm 90 years ahead of my time. :lol:

Mike
"The purpose of life is the investigation of the Sun, the Moon, and the heavens." - Anaxagoras