NGC6946 and NGC6939

Astrophotography: share your photos & discuss techniques
bluemax
10+ Years Member

NGC6946 and NGC6939

Unread post by bluemax »

These two objects are neat to image and it's interesting that NGC6946, The Fireworks Galaxy, is 22.5 million light years from us while the open cluster NGC6939, is only 5,000 light years away. This image is from the Edge8" with Hyperstar and is about 2 hours total exposure at F2 with the Atik 428EX color camera.
Frank N

Stellarvue 80mm APO, Skyguider Pro, Celestron AVX

"I'm a seeker too. But my dreams aren't like yours. I can't help thinking that somewhere in the universe there has to be something better than man. Has to be"

Taylor in "Planet of the Apes" 1968
AndyG
Network Admin

Re: NGC6946 and NGC6939

Unread post by AndyG »

Great composition, Frank. What an interesting field of view. Nice detail in the galaxy, too. I think I can just make out some red Ha regions in the spiral arms.

It's a challenge to try to grapple with the scales involved, having an enormous galaxy at a great distance at about the same apparent size and brightness as a "close" open cluster. Scaling things down to human proportions: if the cluster was in my kitchen (40 ft away), the angular size of 11 arc-minutes would make it about 1.5 inches in diameter. At that scale, and the same angular size, the galaxy would be 34 miles away and 576 ft in diameter (the superman building in Providence is 428 ft high).
Andy
Bruce D
Life Member

Unread post by Bruce D »

Frank that is a beautiful image :!:

Andy we have a boxed presentation "The Scale of the Universe" which is pretty good, especially when it's personalized as I do when I have done it in the past. If you (or anyone) wants to use it for a school or scout etc. presentation I have it.
Bruce D
bluemax
10+ Years Member

Unread post by bluemax »

Andy,

That was a cool explanation on the scale aspect of these objects. Yes, it is very daunting to try to understand the relative scale of objects in the universe and it's one of the things I wrestle with all the time. I try to explain to non-astro folks about the distances and sizes and typically, understandably, their eyes begin to glaze over. :roll: Thanks for the comments :!:
Frank N

"I'm a seeker too. But my dreams aren't like yours. I can't help thinking that somewhere in the universe there has to be something better than man. Has to be"

bluemax
10+ Years Member

Unread post by bluemax »

Thanks, Bruce :!: :!:
I bet you got some time in under the stars last week too. It was a nice break in the otherwise poor observing period this season.
Frank N

Pete
Astro Day Coordinator

Unread post by Pete »

I'm green with envy Frank. We've had absolutely lovely skies this past month but I'm under construction and pretty much limited to sitting out on my deck at night and utilizing the 'ol Mark I eye ball.

Pete
Pete P.