Pluto chapter III

General astronomy-related discussion (publicly viewable)
AndyG
Network Admin

Re: Pluto chapter III

Unread post by AndyG »

Mark, Great explanation, and thanks for those article links, I just learned a lot.
Andy
NGC7000
15+ Years Member

Unread post by NGC7000 »

Interesting insights, Mark.

Tom
Tom H
"Science knows no country, because knowledge belongs to humanity, and is the torch which illuminates the world. Science is the highest personification of the nation because that nation will remain the first which carries the furthest the works of thought and intelligence." - Louis Pasteur
mrgizmo65
10+ Years Member

Unread post by mrgizmo65 »

Thank you again for your input. I have just recently read a about those different things that influence the orbits of planets stars and other astronomical objects. In the particular interest was those things that affects the moon and it's orbit. In this case the. concept is that photons reflected from the earth are creating a reactionary force which in due time will make the moon spiral out away from earth. For Alli know is just evolution
Orion ED80T CF #9534 Carbon Fiber
Ioptron IEQ 45 Pro mount
Ioptron tripier
Ioptron eq 25 mount
Ioptron tripod
Celestron #93709 next image solar system imager
Unitron 3 inch equatorial mount W/ tracking motor and tripod
Restored ED 102 Vixen ss Doublet

"Ilagitami non carborundum" Uncle Nick '49
mrgizmo65
10+ Years Member

One thing in the material I read that I found interesting, even though I don't have a full understand is Bode's law.From what I could understand about it it is a mathematical equation from what I take of it explains the distribution of planets in the solar system.Going by that equation, it predicted the presence of one planet. I believe it was Saturn. If any one would care to elaborate, l'msure there would be more than one person to listen. Jerry
Ioptron IEQ 45 Pro mount
Ioptron tripier
Ioptron eq 25 mount
Ioptron tripod

Pete
Astro Day Coordinator

Unread post by Pete »

Bode's law is probably a function of harmonics. It is only approximate and I suspect that it wasn't calculated, but simply concocted to describe what is. As such it would be better labeled Bode's descriptor.

The Night Sky Network has a cash register tape Scale of the Universe demo that I use in my classes. You strip off about 6' of tape and draw a tiny dot at one end and a 1/2" circle at the other. Label them Pluto and Sun respectively. Fold the paper in half, and at the fold draw a small circle and label it Neptune. Fold the paper in half between Neptune and Sun and on the crease draw/label Uranus. Fold the paper in half between Uranus and Sun and on the fold label/mark Saturn. Fold the paper in half between Saturn and Sun and on the fold mark/draw Jupiter. Fold the paper in half between Jupiter and Sun, and on the fold put a number of dots and write Ceres/Asteroid Belt. Fold the paper in half between Ceres and Sun and on the fold make a mark and label Mars. This is where Bode's descriptor stops. But between Mars and Sun make 3 equally spaced dots and mark them Earth Venus and Mercury.

You have to try the cash register thing to truly appreciate the simplicity of it.

Pete
Pete P.
mrgizmo65
10+ Years Member

Pete,thanks for the input, as a matter of fact,I am familiar with the cash register tape. demo.From what you say about bode's law it sounds like there are many situations where it is used as an example of Bode's law. I am really trying to get into things. other than just viewing.I am starting to get an understanding of the science behind astronomy
Ioptron IEQ 45 Pro mount
Ioptron tripier
Ioptron eq 25 mount
Ioptron tripod

mrgizmo65
10+ Years Member

News Flash!!! The powers that be do a flip flop on the classifications to be considered a planet. I am waiting to hear and see their logic. Under. the newest proposal , some 200 objects have the potential of being considered planets in our solar system. Hold on Pluto,they aren't done yet!!!
Ioptron IEQ 45 Pro mount
Ioptron tripier
Ioptron eq 25 mount
Ioptron tripod